Wednesday, May 4, 2011

My Cosmetology School Experience

I've been wanting to share my own experience with attending cosmetology school. I attended Marinello Schools of Beauty and graduated from there. It took me about 10 months to graduate which is not a long time at all. This is my own personal experience so please keep an open mind about that.
First of all, the reason I decided to attend beauty school was because college didn't work out for me and I wanted to start earning a stable income so that I can move out of my parent's house. I always had interest in beauty, especially hair and skincare so I thought that it might be a good way to begin my life from there. This decision was made mainly to please the people around me rather than thinking of what I really wanted to do and pursue. Going to beauty school was very expensive. Everything was so unorganized there. Especially because the school was going under construction when I enrolled so the classrooms were always dirty and never had enough supplies to serve the clients. We have many lessons that we have to learn from electricity, human anatomy, to hair, makeup, and skincare. Instead of going over all of the lessons that we have to learn, the teachers mostly focused on teaching hair color and haircut. The teacher covered the same exact hair color lessons over and over again. I didn't understand why I had to hear the same lesson almost every 3~4 weeks. She just taught whatever she felt like teaching that day. I barely got to learn about other curriculum so I had to study them on my own time. I began hating having to go to school everyday from 8 to 5. I could have quit going to school but I just couldn't do it knowing that I will disappoint the people around me. I felt like I didn't belong there. Most of the other students there acted very immaturely for their age. As I began assisting clients to do services, I realized that this wasn't for me. I came to the realization that I have to deal with a lot of different people everyday and I couldn't handle that. Customer service was not for me. I became more and more discouraged everyday thinking that I didn't have enough natural talent or skills like the other students to become a cosmetologist. The teacher that I had was pure evil. She liked picking on students and unfortunately, I was one of the students who got picked on. I couldn't wait until I can finally graduate. There was so much drama going on between students and stealing occurred everyday. I just hated that place. You really have to have the passion which obviously I no longer had. Marinello is so focused on just having students enroll and graduate and make money off of tuition fees and from serving clients; not to have us actually learn something about cosmetology. The administrators even admitted so. I'm sure each campus of Marinello is different but the one I went to was pretty horrible. Again, everyone has a different experience but this was mine. I hope this helped getting to know what cosmetology school is like for people who are interested. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

1 comment:

  1. Hi I'm attending marienello soon too..kinda scare from your review..what area did u attend the college at?

    ReplyDelete